DESTRUCTIVE PHYSICAL ANALYSIS & FAILURE ANALYSIS
Industry-Leading Analytical Services
Integra has a fully capable SEM Lab, Mechanical Lab, Metallurgical Lab, and Specialty Lab to provide customers with industry leading analytical services. Integra is a leader in performing the following analytical services:
- DPA per Mil Std 1580 on ICs, Connectors, Passives, Discretes, PWBs and most EEE devices
- DPA per SSQ25000 (DPA spec for International Space Station)
- Failure Analysis
- Root Cause FMA (layer-by-layer root cause failure mode analysis)
- Construction Analysis
- EDX and XRF material analysis
- CSAM (C-Mode Scanning Acoustic Microscopy)
- PIND (Particle Impact Noise Detection)
- X-Ray Real time and 3D X-ray
- X-Ray Fluorescence
- SEAL Fine and Gross Leak Testing
- Bond Pull & Die Shear
- Ball Shear
- Copper Wire Evaluations
- FIB Editing
Our analytical lab has been providing analytical services for over 30 years and supports all major Aerospace and Defense companies.
Integra is an industry leader in performing Plastic Encapsulated Microcircuit (PEM) qualifications for Integrated Circuits (ICs) with over 800 lots processed to date (data available upon request). With increased usage of Copper and Silver bond wires in PEMs, a new Laser Ablation decapping technique has been developed that allows for device decapsulation with little or no acid attack.
The Control Laser Decapsulation FALIT (pronounced "F-A-Light") Laser Ablation system allows for a cleaner plastic device decapsulation. This process uses a combination of laser and acid decapsulation. This is the preferred method of decapsulation for Copper and Silver bond wire products.
This faster and more accurate process allows for less damage to the bond wires by:
- Cleanly removing mold compound using laser technology rather than traditional acid processes
- Exposing wire bonds without damage to other components
Data is available to compare and contrast the Integra laser ablation/chemical decapsulation with full chemical decapsulation. Our data shows:
- Laser/Chemical De-encapsulation is repeatable.
- Laser/chemical process results in tighter distribution.
- Average and maximum breaking force was similar for both acid only and laser ablation/chemical but minimum breaking force was higher when laser/chemical process was used.
- Bond pull strengths above the 2X limit of gold bond wires.
- Cleaner opening with less damage to bond pads, lead frames and overall wire bonds.
DESTRUCTIVE PHYSICAL ANALYSIS (DPA)
At Integra, Destructive Physical Analysis (DPA) is performed to evaluate the quality of construction of electronic devices normally performed per lot date code in order to verify that the quality meets the specified requirements.
Our broad background in device construction techniques and device failure mechanisms provides us with the extra insight required to make good technical judgments on the use of a lot of devices. This extends into the Plastic Encapsulated Microelectronic (PEM) DPA's where good jet etch decapsulation techniques are required to prevent damaging the part.
Destructive Physical Analysis (DPA) This rigorous process of sample testing is done to specification ensuring a high reliability component or device is fabricated to the required standards. Key steps in this process include External visual inspection, X-radiography, Delidding, Internal and SEM inspection, Energy Dispersive X-Ray Analysis (EDS), bond pull and die shear testing.
Integra Technologies has over 30 years experience in performing root cause Failure Analysis of electrical and electronic components. During this time, we have analyzed a broad spectrum of device types that range from very complex microcircuits to passive components like resistors, inductors and capacitors. Our customer base includes major aerospace/military contractors as well as commercial computer and electronic manufacturing firms.
At Integra Failure Analysis is done using a scientific approach during which the device under investigation is carefully analyzed to establish a link between the electrical or mechanical failure mode reported by the customer to a physical failure mechanism on the device under investigation. Years of experience has enabled us to develop the expertise of analyzing complex integrated circuits from a multitude of different manufacturers.
ADDITIONAL ANALYSIS SERVICES
- Backside Inspection
- Destructive Physical Analysis (DPA)
- Failure Analysis (FA)
- External Visual Inspection
- X-Radiography Inspection
- Particle Impact Noise Detection (PIND)
- Fine and Gross Seal Testing
- X-Ray Fluorescence (XRF)
- Scanning Acoustic Microscopy (SAM)